Sunday, May 20, 2012

UR Lesbian: LGBT Files Volume 6

UR Lesbian: LGBT Files Vol. 6 "Social Media"


    Left to Right: Conrad, Joy, Tybelle, Jackie Adam Bouska: NoH8 creator
    Over the past couple of years, social media has blown up and become a huge part of most people's everyday lives.

    From Facebook, to Twitter, to Blogger, to Tumblr and back, the internet has become a place where everyone can find something to keep them entertained at any given moment. In fact, a lot of my favorite moments having to do with Three Strange Women have come from connections I've made through social media, such as our relationships with the NO H8 CampaignPFLAG National, andBay Windows News Paper. This past Monday, we added a new member to the Three Strange Women family!

    "...I've learned that social media and

     networking also play a HUGE role in

     the LGBT community..."


    I spend far too much time on the internet. Whether promoting Three Strange Women, keeping the group and Facebook page full of interesting content, or I just feel like spewing off at the mouth, social media has become my favorite everyday tool to vocalize and give character to things that I find important, funny, inspiring, or just plain cool. Working in the internet radio business is probably the only way I can even begin to justify the amount of time spent Facebooking, Tweeting, blogging, and podcasting. I'm really happy to say that all of this time spent has begun to pay off!

           "...Next thing you know, Three Strange Women had a call in guest scheduled for our next show, thanks to another social media miracle!..."



    Recently I've learned that social media and networking also play a HUGE role in the LGBT community and in the lives of the people who identify within it. The internet LGBT world is great especially for people who may not be comfortable enough promoting a gay lifestyle in their professional lives or publicly, but can appreciate internet memes and content relating to LGBT lifestyle.

           "I was particularly excited about this interview because Have A Gay Day shares the same goal [as] TSW..."


    Last weekend I spent my Friday night at home (which is a rare occurrence) and on the internet (not so rare). I "Like" a bunch of LGBT related pages on Facebook, and am always sharing and retweeting things that I enjoy or find inspiring. One of my more recent "Likes" has been of the page "Have A Gay Day" on Facebook. Last Friday night I shared a few of HAGD's photos and must have caught their attention, because within minutes, HAGD became the official 160th fan of Three Strange Women! We gave them a shout out, told them what we are all about, and BOOM! Next thing you know, Three Strange Women had a call in guest scheduled for our next show, thanks to another social media miracle! 

    You can find our podcast of the interview with Michael, founder of Have A Gay Day, here.

    I was particularly excited about this interview because Have A Gay Day shares the same goal that we at TSW are focusing so hard to promote: POSITIVE LGBT CONTENT! This is what initially drew me to HAGD in the first place. Okay, it may also have had something to do with all of the RAINBOW CAKE photos posted on the page... nom nom nom... They started exactly two months ago and their work is undeniably great. HAGD has already surpassed the 7,800 "Likes" milestone and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon!

    A fun little side note about this whole scenario is that through being the social (media) butterfly that I am, not only have I made a new LGBT social media connection, but I've also gained a new friend in the process! Michael and I have spoken on the phone everyday since our first interaction, comparing notes on LGBT issues and sharing info about our queer little selves with each other. My social media miracles have been nothing short of amazing. I am so proud to associate with so many great LGBT activist organizations and can't believe the amount of connections and responses that have come into fruition thanks to the internet. I am blown away by all of the love and support. 

    Thank you to everyone who encourages and embraces my work and my insanity (there is a very fine line between the two). You all provide me with a warm and loving platform to speak about topics that are meaningful to me. This is something I've always dreamed of, and with the help of UNregular Radio, my team at Three Strange Women, the well wishes of my fellow LGBT activists across the country, and most importantly my READERS AND LISTENERS, I know that dreams really do come true.
    -Jackie Soriano

    No comments:

    Post a Comment