Sunday, April 15, 2012

UR Lesbian: LGBT Files Volume 1

UR Lesbian LGBT Files: Volume 1

Three Strange Women
I've never been one to be shy about my feelings or bite my tongue in a situation (in fact, I enjoy my lack of brain to mouth filter), and for the first time, possibly ever, it has paid off for me. Most people wouldn't necessarily label me as gay just by looking at me, but once I open my mouth, it becomes clear fairly quickly. 

Every Monday, from 3 to 4pm EST, for the past 9 months UNregular Radio has allowed me to drench our lovely listeners with an hour of pure GAY! I found UNregular Radio by accident, fell in love with the entire concept, and just HAD to work with these guys and have a show of my own. Thus, Three Strange Women was born! 

The aim of TSW is simple. I want to spread knowledge about positive/inspiring/happy occurrences in the LGBT community. Between your general everyday bigotry, and being brutally SLAMMED with hurtful words and a bombardment of warped views coming directly from our country's political "leaders" during GOP debates (and then having to hear about it over and over again in the media). 

[It is] difficult to find positive stories pertaining to LGBT news, and I'm appalled at how much more difficult it is to find an article with a positive message. The news is littered with all kinds of awful stories, but it seems that a large portion of negative LGBT occurrences are being glorified by the media rather than anything good. This needs to change if we ever plan on achieving equality. 

Luckily, I am not the only one who has noticed this trend. The Huffington Post's Gay Voices column (launched last October) shares the same general feeling as I do about the situation! Every other week they compile the top 10 LGBT moments of the week into an article called "Something To Celebrate" which, in turn, makes what I am trying to do a little easier. 

There are so many positive and inspiring events that happen in the daily lives of LGBT people. I hope that someday, with enough support and courage, more people will be able to openly share their stories of love and bravery with the public so we can help change the views of those who don't yet understand that our lifestyle isn't all that different from theirs. 

Each day I am thankful to have this incredible platform to spread my message and to be secure enough in myself and my sexuality to be able to voice it. More importantly, I'm thankful to have people who listen. Knowing that anyone listens at all, means the world to me, because I know that no matter how it is being interpreted, my message is being heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment